When I see lamb shanks on special at the supermarket, I buy a couple and make them into an awesomely delicious soup!
- 2 Lamb Shanks
- 1 tablespoon lard/ghee
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sticks celery
- a large handful of green beans, topped and tailed
- a large handful of snow peas, topped and tailed
- a large handful of baby spinach
- 2 tins of whole peeled tomatos
- salt and pepper
- chilli flakes (optional)
- any other herbs you like
- 1 litre of boiling water
- (you can use any vegetables you have lurking around in the fridge – this is an ideal way to use up any veggies before they go bad – I used some butter beans in this one)
Brown the lamb shanks in the lard/ghee and add the onions and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until the onions are glassy.
Add the tinned tomato and boiling water and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
Add all the vegetables and seasoning and simmer for another 1 to 1.5 hours. The meat should fall off the bones. Remove the bones. Season to taste and serve. It’s thick and delicious and freezes really well.